Carl Johnson…April 15, 1923 – April 25, 2011
The years I have known you have been thirty five
That’s when I became your son’s wife
Your place in Downers Grove I remember so well
I loved to visit there and stay a spell
Walking on the grass in the large back yard
Which you and mom worked on so hard
The flowers and vegetables flourished and grew
Lots of produce for casseroles and stew
The harvest was abundant and good
And shared with family and friends for food
I remember how you would spend your days
Fixing things around the house in your own quiet ways
You never made a big fuss about it
But just took action rather than sit
I remember seeing you fixing cars
By the garage filled with nuts and bolts in a hundred jars
I was always amazed at your ability to find
That special tool or item that was one of a kind
Nothing was thrown away
“I might need it” you would say
You watched the daily weather reports and news
Always informed of the current temperatures and views
And if I were to take a hard look
I could still find them written in your notebook.
Your faithful reading of God’s Word each day
Is a picture in my mind that will forever stay
Sitting by the window in that big brown chair
You would pray and cast on Him your care
God has been faithful to you over these years
Given you times of joy, but also times of tears
Saying goodbye to your wife,
Who was the love of your life
Was a hard thing for you to do
But God was still holding on to you.
Your time here on earth has come to an end
We will miss you and ask God our hearts to mend
From the time of your birth
Your years numbered eighty eight on earth
And now you have been ushered into heaven above
Experiencing God’s very presence and love
And eternally present in His Kingdom
Reunited with other loved ones and mom.
Poem by: Jannie Johnson (April 25, 2011)

1 comment:
That is such a beautiful and fitting poem, Jannie. I know he would be very proud of you and Howard. Debby
Post a Comment